Job Advertisement HKI-22/2020
The Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology – Hans Knöll Institute – (Leibniz-HKI, www.leibniz-hki.de) investigates the pathobiology of human-pathogenic fungi and identifies targets for the development of novel natural product-based antibiotics. The Research Group Systems Biology and Bioinformatics invites talented and highly gifted candidates to apply for a
Postdoctoral Researcher (f/div/m) in Metagenomics
for 2 years initially with a possibility of extension.
The Systems Biology & Bioinformatics (SBI) group of the Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology, Hans Knöll Institute (HKI), Jena, Germany, is seeking a Postdoctoral researcher in the area of systems microbiology to develop novel microbiome-based treatments for human diseases. SBI is a member of several national and international collaborations aiming to understand microbial balance from the molecular to the ecosystem level and develop detection and manipulation technologies to create beneficial impact. The successful candidate will analyse and integrate microbiome and mycobiome sequencing data with clinical meta-data obtained from large patient cohorts including, among others, cancer, obese, diabetic, NAFLD and ICU patients. The successful candidate will work closely with wet-lab scientists and clinicians to reveal host meta-omics signatures that can be subsequently used to match the right treatment to the right patient, and to adapt therapy thereafter.
- PhD degree in Systems Biology, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biophysics, Computer Science or a related discipline
- Knowledge and experience in the analysis of biological high-throughput data
- Knowledge in statistical methods in the context of biological systems
- Programming experience (Python, Perl, C++, R).
- Well-developed collaborative skills
A strong interest in conducting collaborative research on the topic outlined above is paramount. Candidates are expected to be interested in working at the boundaries of several research domains.We offer: The successful candidates will be hosted at HKI’s SBI group. We offer an international and multi-disciplinary environment with a strong expertise in the proposed research field and a convivial working atmosphere in an interdisciplinary and international research environment. Currently the group consists of approximately 15 members at different levels of seniority.
SBI is currently coordinating a Marie Curie ITN Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme and is an active participant of the Cluster of Excellence “Balance of the Microverse” and CRC/ Transregio 124 “Pathogenic fungi and their human host: Networks of interaction” funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. More information on the research output of the group can be found here.
Life in Jena:
- Jena is a city with high quality of life, central for trips to major cities (Weimar, Leipzig, Dresden, Berlin, Munich) and surrounded by beautiful nature, perfect for hiking, biking and winter sports
- Jena was awarded the title "City of Science" from the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft in 2008.
- The city is also a hub for notable life science companies, enabling the transfer from academia to industry.
For further information:
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Gianni Panagiotou | +49 3641 532 1759 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete applications in English should include a cover letter, a CV containing a complete list of publications, a brief statement of research experiences, the addresses of two possible referees, and should be submitted by July 2, 2020, via the Leibniz-HKI online application system.