Job Advertisement HKI-19/2018
The Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology – Hans Knöll Institute – (HKI, www.leibniz-hki.de) investigates the pathobiology of human-pathogenic fungi and identifies targets for the development of novel natural product-based antibiotics. We seek a full-time employed
Network manager (f/m)
for three years initially for the administration and organisation of an EU-funded collaborative research and training network:
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network
“BestTreat: Building a Gut Microbiome Engineering Toolbox for In-Situ Therapeutic Treatments for Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease”.
Headed by Assoc. Prof. Gianni Panagiotou from the Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology (Leibniz-HKI) in Jena, 6 European academic- and 8 non-academic institutes have joined forces to improve the diagnosis and therapy of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. As part of the Innovative Training Network BestTreat, which is funded by the European Commission, they intend to train 15 doctoral researchers from January 2019. Partners from Finland, Denmark, the Netherlands and Germany work together in the network and combine their scientific expertise in systems biology, human biology and microbiology to tackle this complex topic.
The successful candidate will work closely for the funded period of the ITN Network (3 years) with the coordinator of the network at the Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology (Leibniz-HKI) in Jena, Germany.
- Manage the “BestTreat” project in direct cooperation with the coordinator and act as a central-point-of-contact for all participating partners and PhD students.
- Ensure that all project deliverables i.e., recruitment of students, data management plan, research, events, and training, are fulfilled in time.
- Planning and oversight of the overall budget of the project.
- Prepare scientific, managerial and financial reports for the European Commission.
- Coordinate the organization and logistics of the training program.
- Ensure effective and timely exchange of information, material and financial accounts between partners and the European Commission.
Qualification and experience
- Excellent organizational skills and enjoy working in an independent and pro-active manner and good team player.
- Effective multi-tasking, flexible during peak times and the ability to work to tight deadlines are also required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to move between the scientific and managerial level are essential.
- An excellent standard of written and spoken English is mandatory, and German would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in preparation and/or management of research networks on the national or European level is an advantage.
- The candidate should hold a PhD or equivalent qualification in life sciences or natural sciences.
- Convivial working atmosphere in an interdisciplinary and international research environment.
- Collaboration with leading labs from US, Europe and Asia.
- Open-minded and family-friendly working environment.
Life in Jena
- Jena is a city with high quality of life, central for trips to major cities (Weimar, Leipzig, Dresden, Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich) and surrounded by beautiful nature, perfect for hiking, biking and winter sports.
- Jena was awarded the title "City of Science" from the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft in 2008.
- The city is also a hub for notable life science companies, enabling the transfer from academia to industry. The research group is embedded in the outstanding scientific environment of the Beutenberg Campus providing state-of-art research facilities and a highly integrative network of life science groups. We offer excellent technical facilities, a place in a young, committed team, as well as strong scientific collaborations.
Further information: Assoc. Prof. Gianni Panagiotou | +49 3641 5321527 | email@example.com
Complete applications in English should include a letter of motivation, CV, and the contact details of two referees, and should be submitted by October 26, 2018 via the online application system of the HKI.