Job Advertisement HKI-25/2021
The Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology – Hans Knöll Institute – (Leibniz-HKI, www.leibniz-hki.de) investigates the pathobiology of human-pathogenic fungi and identifies targets for the development of novel natural product-based antibiotics. The Research Group Systems Biology and Bioinformatics invites talented and highly gifted candidates to apply as a
Doctoral Researcher (f/div/m) Metagenomics
for three years initially.
The Systems Biology & Bioinformatics (SBI) group of the Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology, Hans Knöll Institute (Leibniz-HKI), Jena, Germany, is seeking for high risk-high reward research in the fields of metagenomics and big data integration. SBI is active participant of several national and international collaborative efforts to study the interplay between the host, symbiotic communities and pathogenic species. Together with renowned scientists and supported by an excellent infrastructure you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution for a healthier society. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
- MSc degree in Systems Biology, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biophysics, Computer Science or a related discipline
- Knowledge and experience in the analysis of biological high-throughput data
- Knowledge in statistical methods in the context of biological systems
- Programming experience (Python, Perl, C++, R)
- Well-developed collaborative skills
We offer: The successful candidates will be hosted at Leibniz-HKI’s SBI group. We offer an international and multi-disciplinary environment with a strong expertise in the proposed research field and a convivial working atmosphere in an interdisciplinary and international research environment. Currently the group consists of approximately 17 members at different levels of seniority.SBI is coordinating a Horizon 2020 Marie Curie Innovative Training Network and is an active participant of the Cluster of Excellence “Balance of the Microverse” and CRC/ Transregio 124 “Pathogenic fungi and their human host: Networks of interaction” funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. More information on the research output of the group can be found here.
Life in Jena:
- Jena is a city with high quality of life, central for trips to major cities (Weimar, Leipzig, Dresden, Berlin, Munich) and surrounded by beautiful nature, perfect for hiking, biking and winter sports.
- Jena was awarded the title "City of Science" from the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft in 2008.
- The city is also a hub for notable life science companies, enabling the transfer from academia to industry.
Salary is paid according to German TV-L (salary agreement for public service employees). As an equal opportunity employer the Leibniz-HKI is committed to increasing the percentage of female scientists and therefore especially encourages them to apply.
For further information:
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Gianni Panagiotou | +49 3641 532 1759 | email@example.com
Complete applications in English should include a cover letter, a CV containing a complete list of publications, a brief statement of research experiences, the addresses of two possible referees, and should be submitted by July 25, 2021, via the Leibniz-HKI online application system.